parents demand answers after rx error leaves son on life support

Most of us know from firsthand experience just how important it is to make accurate measurements and precise calculations. For example, consider how too much salt can ruin a recipe, too little oil can damage an engine or too many zeros can spell disaster on an exam question.

While these kinds of inaccurate measurements or imprecise calculations can cause both consternation and inconvenience, they are often capable of being fixed or, at the very least, passing with few real-world consequences. Unfortunately, this is not the case in the medical realm, as the failure to accurately measure or make precise calculations can often mean the difference between life and death.

To illustrate, consider a recent case out of California, where a couple is looking for answers after a significant drug error that they believe is directly responsible for their newborn baby’s having to be placed on life support.

Earlier this fall, the couple was celebrating the birth of their son, who despite being born five weeks early, appeared to be in good health. Unfortunately, this all changed roughly a month later, when the parents noticed that their son was acting considerably more fussy than normal.

A trip to the doctor’s office confirmed that their son had developed meningitis and had to be hospitalized immediately. While the news was understandably upsetting, the parents were nevertheless more than prepared for the prolonged stay in the intensive care unit, believing that it would ultimately lead to a better outcome for their son.

Sadly, this did not prove to be the case …

To be continued …

When pharmacists or pharmacy staff fails to exercise the necessary care, it can have life-altering or potentially deadly consequences for patients. If you or a loved one has been seriously injured or lost a loved one to what you believe was a medication error, consider speaking with an experienced legal professional to learn about your options for securing justice.

Source: NBC Southern California, “Weeks-old baby overdosed during meningitis treatment: Parents,” Vikki Vargas, Jan. 2, 2014

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *